Passaic County Technical Institute recognizes that child and adolescent obesity has reached epidemic levels in the United States and that poor diet combined with the lack of physical activity negatively impacts on students’ health and their ability and motivation to learn. We are committed to:
- Providing students with healthy and nutritious foods.
- Encouraging the consumption of fresh fruits and vegetables, low fat milk and whole grains.
- Supporting healthy eating through nutrition education.
- Encouraging students to select and consume all components of the school meal.
- Providing students with the opportunity to engage in daily physical activity.
The following items may not be served, sold or given out as free promotion anywhere on school property at anytime before the end of the school day:
- Foods of minimal nutritional value as defined by U.S. Department of Agriculture regulations.
- All food and beverage items listing sugar, in any form, as the first ingredient; and all forms of candy.
All snack and beverage items sold or served anywhere on school property during the school day, including items sold in the a la carte lines, vending machines, snack bars, school stores and fundraisers or served in the reimbursable After School Snack Program, shall meet the following standards:
- Based on manufacturers nutritional data or nutrient facts labels:
- No more than eight grams of total fat per serving, with exception of nuts and seeds.
- No more than two grams of saturated fat per serving.
- All beverages shall not exceed 12 ounces, with the following exceptions:
- Milk containing two percent or less fat.