The safety of PCTVS students, faculty, and staff is first and foremost our priority throughout all district operations. To this end, PCTVS has established an emergency preparedness plan for instructional continuity, in the event that the district campus must close. PCTVS is well prepared to provide uninterrupted instruction to students beyond the classroom. Our goal is to provide continuity of instruction in the face of any emergency circumstance should the need arise.
Home/Virtual Day Instructional & Technology Assistance
PCTVS is ready to offer support to students and faculty during emergency campus closures. Please use the links below to contact us:
Students & Parents
PCTVS strives to provide students and their instructors with the tools they need to succeed. An email reminder of the daily scheduled periods will be sent to both students and faculty, available on the website and through the TechLife mobile app and Alexa skill.
Please refer to the recommendations and resources below to learn how students can still receive PCTVS's award-winning education in the event of emergency campus closure.
Communication with Students
- Refer to the course syllabus or agendas uploaded to Canvas.
- Refer to due dates to be clear about expectations of assignments.
- Check the Canvas announcements or Gmail regularly for all communications.
Delivery of Course Lectures
- Instructors can upload pre-recorded lectures or whiteboard demonstrations to Canvas modules.
- Refer to recordings of the lectures and links to these recordings within Canvas modules.
- Sessions will be held according to the Home/Virtual Instruction schedule provided below.
Assessment of Student Learning
Student Daily Procedures
- Students must login to each scheduled class (through Canvas), each day, between the hours of 8:10am and 2:56pm. Students can complete assignments outside of these hours. They do not need to stay logged into Canvas the entire school day.
- Students must submit, strictly through Canvas, any assigned work within 2 days (48 hours) of the posted assignment.
- Students must post the word "present" to each Canvas course Discussion Board each day. Posting this single word lets us know you were "present" for the class.
- Grades will be posted within 24 hours of assignment submission.
- There are no classes scheduled for Saturday or Sunday.
- Video tutorials:
|Home/Virtual Instruction Schedule
|Home/Virtual Instruction Day 1
||Home/Virtual Instruction Day 2
||Home/Virtual Instruction Day 3
Please note there will be no classes scheduled for Saturday or Sunday.
Virtual Academic Assistance Program
We are pleased to announce on Tuesday, April 21, 2020, the Academic Assistance Program (AAP) will be available virtually through the district’s Webex platform.
The AAP will offer academic support services to our students in need of assistance. The program will run on Tuesday and Wednesday afternoon at 3:15 pm to 4:15 pm. Students can register weekly for the sessions they need by completing and submitting the AAP registration form link.
Teachers and subject areas currently available:
- Once you register, you will receive an invitation to your teacher’s virtual room via email.
- Your teacher will be available from 3:15 pm to 4:15 pm on Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons.
- When you enter your teacher's virtual room, please turn your audio and video off.
- The chat function should be used to ask questions.
||Biology/Anatomy & Physiology
Use this AAP registration form to sign up for AAP weekly.
If you have any questions, please contact the AAP Coordinator at .
Virtual Supplemental Educational Services
Supplemental Educational Services (SES) is an after-school education program for students who need continued supplemental support in specific subject areas. This program runs every Monday and Thursday from 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm starting April 20, 2020 and ending June 15, 2020.
The supplemental educational services are based on prioritized academic need as defined by the district. Students are required to attend 75% of the sessions, as space is limited, and continuity is vital. Continued placement is contingent upon attendance and performance. If a student does not participate, he/she will be removed from the program. Email the coordinator of the program at with any question or concern.
To sign up for Virtual SES, please use this form.
|Algebra 1 Concepts
|Algebra 2 Concepts
|English 1, 2, 3, 4
During the closure, all staff and students will be asked to follow the Home/Virtual Instruction schedule. Teachers are asked to be available during the times established through the teachers collective bargaining agreement, 7:56am - 2:56pm daily. An email reminder of the daily scheduled periods will be sent to both students and faculty, available on the website and through the TechLife mobile app and Alexa skill.
We are requesting you deliver your online instruction asynchronously, allowing for learning to take place according to student/teacher availability, assignment due dates should be reasonable and considerate of an evolving and unpredictable health concern. Working from home (i.e. telecommuting) also reinforces 21st Century Life & Career Standards optimized for a global society.
- Asynchronous learning - not occurring in real-time or aligned to coincide with an instructor present.
- Synchronous learning - occurring in real-time or aligned to a scheduled interaction with an instructor present.
To ensure instructional continuity, PCTVS encourages faculty to make the most of the tools and services available. The resources and recommendations below are designed to help teachers develop a plan for delivering instruction using these tools. For additional support with district educational technologies or to discuss how to develop or improve your educational plan, please contact the Instructional Technology Coach ().
Teacher Daily Responsibilities
- Login to Canvas and review all assigned courses.
- Check course discussion boards for prior day attendance (24-hour period) and submit within PowerSchool.
- A discussion board response posted by a student equates to a “present.”
- All assignments must be given a due date.
- Completed assignment must be graded and posted within 3 days (72 hours).
- Daily log submitted to Supervisor outlining daily tasks completed, by 2:56pm that day or by 8:15am the following morning.
Communication with Students
The posting of instructional content or instruction must be released by 8:10am of the day your course period runs according to the Home/Virtual Instruction schedule posted for that day. Responses to student emails or threaded discussions should be done in a timely manner, not to exceed more than 24 hours from the original post.
- Make sure all course content is posted within Canvas modules.
- Use due dates to be clear about expectations of assignments.
- Use the Canvas announcement, inbox tool, or email to communicate with your class.
Faculty using various resources such as class websites, Newsela, IXL, Kami, TurnItIn, NoRedInk, CTE trade specific sites, ebooks, Webex whiteboard/recordings and college/university dual enrollment sites are encouraged to continue to use these tools. However, all directions and assignments must be disseminated through Canvas to ensure participation and accountability.
Tutorials & Resources
Delivery of Course Lectures
- Teachers can deliver asynchronous instruction via Canvas.
- Create recordings of your lectures using Webex and share links to these recordings within Canvas.
Assessment of Student Learning
- Canvas can be used to collect student assignments and offer online quizzes.
- Collect student assignments electronically using the Canvas assignment tool (e.g. homework, assignments, or written reflections). You can download these files and provide feedback using Canvas.
- Offer online exams using Canvas. Exams can be proctored using Respondus Lockdown Browser or through a timed assessment.
- Equitable access will be provided through our 1:1 initiative. All students have a district-issued Chromebook device.
- Students who report connectivity issues will be provided with hotspot access via contracts with local providers, paid for by the district.
- Hard copies of lessons will also be delivered to students, as needed.
- All related services (i.e. Speech, Occupational, Physical Therapy, Counseling Services, etc.) will be provided to students as stipulated under Individualized Educational Plans and Intervention Plans.
- Counselors, nurses, social workers, and Child Study Team members will be checking in with the students on their case load throughout any period of virtual instruction, via district approved virtual channels like Canvas and email.
PCTVS will distribute meals that are shelf-stable to students at designated access points throughout the various municipalities of Passaic County.
Staff Member Absence
In the event a staff member is unable to perform their duties due to illness or other entitlement (personal day, bereavement day) they should submit an absence through Frontline Aesop Absence Management System.
April 22, 2020
April 22nd Update
Dear Parents and Guardians,
I hope that this correspondence finds you and your families safe and well during this unprecedented and prolonged school closing. In an effort to keep you knowledgeable and aware of the current status of our school district, I am providing you with some important updates and information.
As you may be aware, Governor Murphy has announced that all closures will remain in effect until at least May 15. On or about that date, Governor Murphy is expected to announce any decisions about the State of Emergency. Once we are informed of his decisions, we will inform you and the students. In the meantime, please continue to refer to our Instructional Continuity Plan located on the homepage of our website: https://www.pcti.tec.nj.us/instructional-continuity. Also, the Daily Announcements sent by email to students each day, provide the Virtual/Home Instruction schedule for each school day.
Kind reminder: It is important that you ensure that your child remains engaged in their coursework by completing the daily virtual assignments from their teachers.
The district and schools’ administration are available throughout the day. You can reach out to any administrator, counselor, or case manager via email or at their telephone extensions. Our Technology Office is also available for students should they require assistance. Due to the continued State of Emergency, visitors and students are not permitted on campus.
Graduation and Senior Activities
I am aware that the students of the Class of 2020 are eagerly awaiting any decisions about prom and our graduation ceremony. The advisors for the Class of 2020 have been speaking with the Senior Class Officers, Dr. Parent, and the Class Assistant Principal about possible options for these events. Once definitive plans are crafted, we will communicate to our seniors and parents the plans for the end of the year.
Senior Awards and Senior Athletic Awards
In an effort to maintain our annual celebrations of our seniors’ achievements, we will host the Senior Scholarship Awards and Senior Athletic Awards ceremonies via a pre-recorded program that will be available for viewing on our website and our official YouTube channel. Details about both broadcasts will be sent to all families in the near future.
Prior to the Spring Break, students began the course selection process for the 2020-2021 school year. The course selection window in Power School is currently open. Please remind your child that if they have not yet done so, to select their course requests for the upcoming school year in Power School. The opportunity to select courses and make changes will remain open until May 4th. Please know that we encourage all of our students to discuss their course selections with their parents before deciding. Counselors and Case Managers are available for students needing assistance in building the proper schedule for the 2020-2021 school year.
As of April 20, students will have the option to meet virtually with teachers if they are in need of tutoring or assistance. All students have been emailed the process for enrolling in the Academic Assistance Program. The program will run on Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 3:15 PM until 4:15 PM. We encourage you to discuss this tutoring option with your child. If you have any questions about the program, please contact Mr. Rolando Watley at or go to: https://www.pcti.tec.nj.us/aap-virtual
Our students have demonstrated remarkable adaptation to the current situation as PCTVS has provided the best possible learning environment during this unprecedented shut down. We sincerely thank you for your continued support and look forward to the day when we can make a safe and speedy return to normal school functions. The unwavering support, cooperation and tireless energy from our instructors, administration, staff, parents and students who are all working together in Bulldog spirit is a constant reminder that PCTVS “Is Like No Place Else”!
Please remain alert for any updates from our principals, administrators, and local officials. I wish you and your family health and safety.
Diana C. Lobosco
Chief School Administrator
Passaic County Technical-Vocational Schools
Estimados padres y guardianes,
Espero que esta correspondencia los encuentre a usted y a sus familias sanos y salvos durante este cierre escolar prolongado. En un esfuerzo por mantenerlo informado y al tanto del estado actual de nuestro distrito escolar, le estoy proporcionado algunas actualizaciones e información importantes.
Comunicación del Gobernador
Como ya sabrá, el Gobernador Murphy ha anunciado que todos los cierres permanecerán vigentes hasta al menos el 15 de mayo. En esa fecha o más o menos, se espera que el Gobernador Murphy anuncie cualquier decisión sobre el Estado de Emergencia. Una vez que seamos informados de sus decisiones, le informaremos a usted y a los estudiantes. Mientras tanto, continúe consultando nuestro Plan de Continuidad de Instrucción ubicado en la página de inicio de nuestro sitio web: https://www.pcti.tec.nj.us/instructional-continuity. Además, los anuncios diarios enviados por correo electrónico a los estudiantes cada día, proporcionan el horario de instrucción virtual / en el hogar para cada día escolar.
Aviso: Es importante que se asegure de que su hijo siga participando en sus tareas al completar las tareas virtuales diarias de sus maestros.
Oficinas del Campus
El distrito y la administración de las escuelas están disponibles durante todo el día. Puede comunicarse con cualquier administrador, consejero o administrador de casos por correo electrónico o en sus extensiones telefónicas. Nuestra Oficina de Tecnología también está disponible para estudiantes en caso de que requieran asistencia. Debido al continuo estado de emergencia, no se permiten visitantes ni estudiantes en el campus.
Graduación y Actividades para Los Seniors
Soy consciente de que los estudiantes de la Clase de 2020 esperan ansiosamente cualquier decisión sobre el baile y nuestra ceremonia de graduación. Los asesores para la Clase de 2020 han estado hablando con los Oficiales de los Seniors, el Dr. Parent y el Asistente de la Clase sobre las posibles opciones para estos eventos. Una vez que se elaboren los planes definitivos, comunicaremos a nuestros estudiantes y padres los planes para el final del a año.
Honores Para los Seniors y Meritorias de Atletas
En un esfuerzo de mantener nuestras celebraciones anuales de los logros de nuestros Seniors, organizaremos los honores y becas meritorias de atletas a través de un programa pregrabado que estará disponible para ver en nuestro sitio web y nuestro canal oficial de YouTube. Los detalles sobre ambas transmisiones se enviarán a todas las familias en un futuro próximo.
Antes de las vacaciones de primavera, los estudiantes comenzaron el proceso de selección de cursos para el año escolar 2020-2021. La ventana de selección de cursos en Power School está actualmente abierta. Recuerdele a su hijo que si aún no lo ha hecho, seleccione sus solicitudes de cursos para el próximo año escolar en Power School. La oportunidad de seleccionar cursos y hacer cambios permanecerá abierta hasta el 4 de mayo. Tenga en cuenta que le pedimos a todos nuestros estudiantes a discutir sus selecciones de cursos con sus padres antes de decidir. Los consejeros y administradores de casos están disponibles para los estudiantes que necesitan asistencia para construir el horario adecuado para el año escolar 2020-2021.
A partir del 20 de abril, los estudiantes tendrán la opción de reunirse virtualmente con los maestros si necesitan tutoría o asistencia. Todos los estudiantes han recibido por correo electrónico el proceso para inscribirse en el Programa de Asistencia Académica. El horario del programa será los martes y miércoles de 3:15 p.m. a 4:15 p.m. Les pedimos que hablen con sus hijos de esta opción de tutoría. Si tiene alguna pregunta sobre el programa, comuníquese con el Sr. Rolando Watley a o visite: https://www.pcti.tec.nj.us/aap-virtual.
Nuestros estudiantes han demostrado notable adaptación a la situación actual, ya que PCTVS ha proporcionado el mejor entorno de aprendizaje posible durante este cierre escolar. Le agradecemos sinceramente su continuo apoyo y esperamos con ansias el día en que podamos hacer un regreso seguro y rápido a las funciones normales de la escuela. ¡El apoyo, la cooperación y la energía incansable de nuestros instructores, administración, personal, padres y estudiantes que trabajan juntos en el espíritu de Bulldog es un recordatorio constante de que PCTVS "es como ningún otro lugar"!
Manténgase alertos para cualquier actualización de nuestros directores, administradores y funcionarios locales. Les deseo a usted y a su familia salud y seguridad.
Diana C. Lobosco
Chief School Administrator
Passaic County Technical-Vocational Schools
March 27, 2020
Dear Parents and Guardians,
The Passaic County Technical Vocational Schools will remain closed until further notice. Virtual Instruction will continue as planned with the exception of the scheduled Spring Break. Therefore, there will be no Virtual Instruction between April 10 and April 17. Virtual Instruction will resume on April 20.
We appreciate your continued support and cooperation during these unprecedented times. Should any further decisions be made that will affect the opening of school, we will immediately communicate them to you and your child.
Estimados Padres y Apoderados,
Passaic County Technical Vocational Schools van a continuar estando cerradas indefinidamente. Instruccion virtual continuara como planeado con la excepcion de las vacaciones de primavera. Por lo tanto, no habra instruccion virtual entre el 10 al 17 de Abril.
Instruccion virtual va a resumir el 20 de Abril. Apreciamos su cooperacion durante estos tiempos sin precedentes. En caso de que se hagan deciciones adicionales que afecten la apertura de la escuela, nos comunicaremos de inmediato con ustedes y sus hijos.
March 13, 2020
COVID-19 Update: March 13, 2020
PCTVS has received official notice of the test results from the Department of Health that the student who was tested for COVID-19 has come back NEGATIVE.
March 12, 2020
COVID-19 Information & Special Announcement
Dear Students, Parents, Guardians, Faculty, and Staff -
We understand the concern that you have about the PCTVS campus and our preparations for any potential COVID-19 cases that may affect us. Be assured that any information, updates to previous messages, or guidance and recommendations from the county Department of Health or the New Jersey Department of Education will be relayed to you in a timely fashion. As you are aware, we will only be permitted to share information that is legally permissible.
We are keenly aware that there are rumors circulating from numerous sources. Know that the only information that you can trust as being factually accurate, is the information that you receive from our direct communication channels; a PCTVS email, phone call, text message, or direct mailing. In the meantime, PCTVS will continue to remain alert, sustain a clean campus, and provide students and staff with the best possible protections that are available.
School Closed for Students: March 16, 2020
PCTVS will be closed for all students on Monday, March 16, 2020. The faculty and staff will be reporting to school to continue developing lessons and assessments in preparation for possible Virtual Days. School will reopen for all students on Tuesday, March 17, 2020.
Because we are a one-to-one district, the flow of instruction will continue with minimal disruptions in the event that we are required by the Department of Health or the New Jersey Department of Education to shut down for an extended period of time. For additional details on the tools PCTVS has deployed to support our instructional continuity initiatives, please visit: https://www.pcti.tec.nj.us/instructional-continuity.
March 11, 2020
COVID-19 Update: March 11, 2020
Faculty, Staff, Students, Parents, and Guardians,
On March 11, a student self-reported that they have been tested by their physician for infection of the COVID-19 virus. We have contacted the physician and have been informed that the screening results are not yet known. The student is at home.
PCTVS will continue to communicate with the family and will notify the proper county and state agencies and follow all guidance provided. In the meantime, we will continue to maintain a clean campus and keep all families aware of any developments.
March 10, 2020
Update: COVID-19 Information
Dear PCTVS parents and guardians:
On March 4, 2020, I issued a letter to all parents, faculty, staff, and students regarding the district's attention to the COVID-19 virus. As a follow-up to that message, we are asking that you continue to follow these simple guidelines (at home and at school) that were issued by the New Jersey Department of Health:
The district administration continues to monitor updates and guidance from the county and state. Subsequently, PCTVS has enacted the following:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
We will continue to provide you with any important updates we receive from The New Jersey Department of Health, The New Jersey Department of Education, and The Passaic County Office of Emergency Management. These agencies remain our primary sources for guidance and updates on the COVID-19 virus and educational planning. On behalf of the administration and staff of PCTVS, we thank you for your cooperation and understanding during this time.
- PCTVS facilities are disinfected each day and evening.
- We have requested that all transportation providers disinfect buses, regularly.
- All students and staff are reminded, on a daily basis, to wash their hands and disinfect their phones and laptops with wipes. We also advise that students not share earbuds or earphones.
- We will be surveying the students regarding the availability of reliable Internet access within the home should the need arise to host remote learning.
- As was noted in the letter dated March 4, programs like Canvas and Webex will allow students and staff to interact with each other so that instruction can and will continue. For additional details on the tools PCTVS has deployed to support our instructional continuity initiatives, please visit: https://www.pcti.tec.nj.us/instructional-continuity. This page will be updated as our planning and discussions evolve.
- Staff continues to be provided with professional development and technical support in the delivery of instruction through Canvas and Webex platforms.
Diana C. Lobosco
Chief School Administrator
District Public Health-Related School Closure Plan
The District Public Health-Related School Closure Plan is available here.