PCTI Student Uniform Requirements
The following pants, shorts, and skirts are acceptable for wear at PCTI:
- COED uniform khakis
- Old Navy uniform Plain Front Khakis
- Dickie’s Workwear Flat Front Khakis
In an effort to raise the level of expectations and maintain a safe, orderly educational environment, Passaic County Technical Institute requires a uniform for all students.
PCTI’s Standard Student School Uniform Attire consists of:
1. PCTI uniform Royal Blue or White (long or short sleeve) polo shirts are required to be worn each school day (with the exception of "Spirit Days").
- PCTI Polo Shirts must be purchased from the Co-Ed Uniform Company. The polo shorts must be outfitted with the approved PCTI logo. Co-Ed Uniform Company is located at 100 Broadway in Elmwood Park. Please call them at (201) 796-4220 for business hours or to make an appointment.
- Non-polo PCTI shirts, jerseys, or other shop-specific polo shirts may only be worn on designated "Spirit Days"
2. PCTI uniform code requires that all students wear flat-front tan khaki pants, shorts, or skirts worn with either a black or brown belt. Your tan khaki pants, shorts, or skirts may be purchased at any outlet or store. Please note the following when purchasing your pants, shorts, or skirts:
- Cargo, non-pleated, and skinny pants or shorts are not permitted
- Khaki colored jeans are not permitted
- Pants legs cannot be made “skinny”
- Skirts or shorts may not be shorter than a fingertip’s length when arms are extended down.
- Cargo shorts, cargo pants, skinny jeans, and jeans are not permitted to be worn, unless it is a "Spirit Day"
3. PCTI does permit students to wear solid colored sweaters (pullovers, cardigans, V-necks), vests, fleece wear, sweatshirts, or hoodies, displaying an approved PCTI logo. These items can be obtained from Co-Ed Uniform Company or from the PCTI School Store. Acceptable colors for these items are royal or navy blue, black, gray, or white. Please note that a PCTI uniform polo shirt must be worn under such items at all times.
4. PCTI does not require uniform footwear.
Additional Acceptable Uniform Attire:
- PCTI solid colored sweaters (pullover, cardigan, V-neck), vests, fleece wear, sweatshirts, hoodies, etc. displaying an approved PCTI logo and obtained from the approved vendor or from the PCTI School Store or from a school sponsored activity. Acceptable colors for these items are royal or navy blue, black, gray or white. (The PCTI Uniform Polo Shirt must be worn under such items at all times)
- Tan khaki shorts* (non-cargo/non pleated), skirts, or skorts not shorter than fingertip length when arms are extended down.
- Solid colored leggings only may be worn under the shorts, skirts, or skorts. Other legging styles such as fish net, lace, patterned, striped, etc. may not be worn.
- PCTI ROTC Formal Uniform on approved uniform inspection days.
*Cut off style shorts are not permitted
Spirit Day Attire
- Shirts / tops – any approved PCTI “tech wear” including PCTI athletic team wear
- Pants – must comply with policy stated in Student-Parent Handbook
- PCTI scarves obtained only from the school store
*Students choosing not to participate in SPIRIT DAY must adhere to the PCTI Student School Uniform Guidelines.
The following items are prohibited at all times:
- Hats and all other types of headwear including bandanas, sweatbands, wave caps, etc. with the exception of headwear worn for religious affiliations.
- Scarves of any type (PCTI scarves may be worn on SPIRIT DAYS only)
- Logos, insignias, labels, and symbols other than the school logo are prohibited from being worn on all school uniform clothing items.
- Flip-flops, sandals, slippers, open-back strapless shoes, open-toe shoes, platform shoes, or any shoes with loose or untied laces or straps that may pose a safety hazard.
- Oversized or flamboyant belt buckles.
- Skinny khakis
- Pants legs tucked into boots
- Winter coats, jackets, etc. are not to be worn during class time. These items should be stored in lockers during the day when possible or placed on the back of desk chairs during class time.
- No items such as chains, pouches, hats, etc., hanging from belts.
- No other garments are to be worn over the PCTI uniform polo shirt other than those identified above as “additional acceptable uniform attire.”
- Alterations of any type to the approved uniform attire are not permitted except for the alterations to pants’ waist and leg length as necessary. Straight legging or altering pants to make them skinny is prohibited.
- No long sleeve or visible non-uniform garments
Student ID Badge
- Must be worn above the waist by clip or with chain at all times
- Student arriving to school w/o an ID must obtain a temporary to be worn throughout the day.
Dress Code Violations*
- Dress code violations will lead to immediate placement in In-School Suspension.
- Repeated dress code infractions will lead to Out-of-School Suspension and/or recommendation for expulsion.